Regarded as some of the best prosthodontists in Manhattan, our dentists utilize a cordless diode laser for a wide range of gum contouring and soft tissue procedures (gum surgery). By using a diode laser, these procedures can be performed with less bleeding and better healing than more conventional treatment methods. Diode lasers are also very useful in optimizing cosmetic and restorative procedures, such as the application of porcelain veneers, fillings, and dental crowns. To learn more about laser-assisted dental procedures, please review the informative content we have provided below, or contact our office to schedule an appointment.
Benefits of Laser Dentistry
Use of dental lasers for soft-tissue procedures can provide several significant benefits over more traditional treatment modalities. Advantages of diode lasers for dental applications include:
- Ease of operation
- Reduction in bleeding
- Reduction in post-op swelling and discomfort
- Facilitation of faster healing
- Reduction in the risk of bacterial infection
- Improvement in the esthetic outcome of a cosmetic or restorative procedure
Applications for Laser Dentistry
Dental lasers are used for a variety of treatment purposes at our practice. The most common applications for laser dentistry include:
- Gingival (gum) recontouring – Excess gum tissue that causes the appearance of a “gummy smile” can be effectively contoured using a diode laser. Eliminating gum tissue can elongate the appearance of teeth and enhance the results of esthetic procedures.
- Pocket decontamination – When plaque buildup within the gingival pockets harbors dangerous bacteria, the health of the gums and teeth are at risk for serious damage. A dental laser can be used to eliminate periodontal pathogens and diseased tissue so that healthy gums can reattach to the tooth body.
- Soft tissue procedures related to implant dentistry – Use of a dental laser at various stages in the dental implant process can create less inflammation, reduce bacteria, and promote rapid healing, all of which often translates to more successful implant results.
- Placement of fillings – Lasers can help disinfect the tooth’s surface before the filling is placed, as well as help harden the composite resin material more quickly than traditional methods.
If use of a dental laser can benefit the outcome of your procedure, our prosthodontists at Schweitzer & Schweitzer, PC can explain why and how they will be applying the laser. We are pleased to be able to offer our patients the most advanced dental technology to improve comfort and provide quality results.
Laser Dentistry Procedures
The exact application of a dental laser will depend on the type of procedure your prosthodontist is performing. Typically, your mouth will be numbed with local anesthetic and the laser will be utilized to appropriately treat the designated tooth (teeth) or soft tissue. If you are receiving soft tissue treatment, there is usually little if any bleeding due to the cauterizing effects of the laser. Laser treatment is usually quick and virtually painless compared to more conventional treatment methods. For more specific information about the laser procedure you are considering, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with one of our prosthodontists. During this appointment, your prosthodontist will perform a thorough oral examination, discuss your concerns and goals, and develop a treatment plan that may include use of a dental laser. He can explain the procedure step-by-step so that you know what to expect from your treatment.
Contact Schweitzer & Schweitzer, PC
If you are interested in laser dentistry and would like to schedule a consultation with one of our skilled prosthodontists, we encourage you to contact our practice.